The backbone of the Golden Gate calendar are team practices. Held three times a week, they offer wrestlers the chance to get to know each other and hone their skills under the supervision of the GGWC coaches. But GGWC does much more than that.
- Practices: GGWC practices every Tuesday and Friday eveing and Saturday afternoon at Eureka Valley Recreation Center at the corner of Collingwood and 18th Street, one block from Castro. Practices are a City of San Francisco sponsored event. We have a full-size wrestling mat (purchased in 2001) and sanitizing equipment. Practices are about 2 hours and include instruction and open mat time. Wrestlers keep track of changes to our practic schedule by subscribing to the GGWC Yahoo group. A link to subscribe to the group is on our home page.
- Tournaments: Although some GGWC members never plan to enter tournaments, most of our members participate either in WWB club-sanctioned tournaments or tournaments staged by USA Wrestling or AAU. GGWC has hosted the Don Jung Memorial Tournament for 25 years and discussions are under way on how to keep the event going, perhaps with a rotation with other California coastal cities. New York's Metro Wrestling holds an annual tournament in January and San Diego's Bulldogs wrestling holds a tournament in February. Local USAW freestyle and Greco-Roman tournaments are held throughout the spring and summer. GGWC members also have a history of volunteering at USAW and WWB tournaments.
- Alliance Wrestling: GGWC launched San Francisco Alliance Wrestling Club in 2007 to spur a revival of Bay Area wrestling and provide direct assistance to inner-city high school boys and girls in San Francisco. They learn good citizenship and good wrestling. GGWC recruits and trains experienced wrestlers to coach. In some cases, such as with Mission High School, we work more directly with a specific school program. Donations are often made to provide the high school wrestlers with tournament fees or equipment. The impact on local high school record has been pronounced and several of the high school wrestlers and coaches have honored GGWC's contributions by wrestling in the Don Jung tournament.
- Social events events: Wrestlers often meet up for supper after practice, and Casa Dermody is legendary for its traditional wrestling parties. We occasionally hold other events, such as beach wrestling and BBQs; and WWB tournaments such as the Don Jung Memorial include several weekend social functions such as dinners and parties.
- Fundraisers: We do not survive on member fees alone. Through participation in street and Pride fairs and tavern beer busts, GGWC is able to raise money to support Gay Games travel, equipment expenses and Alliance Wrestling scholarships; as well as support local businesses and the community.